Asheboro police file charges from 2021 shooting deaths
ASHEBORO — The Asheboro Police Department made an arrest in a case involving two deaths from a 2021 shooting.
Jay Hanson, assistant police chief, announced that Roberto McIntyre Jr. has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury.
McIntyre, 30, has been placed with Randolph County Jail with no bond, based on Hanson’s information. His arrest was made Feb. 17 and he appeared in court the next day. Another court date has been set for March 11.
The case involves the Jan. 21, 2021, shooting deaths of Eli Gainey, 25, and a 16-year-old youth. They were shot while standing near a vehicle on Kemp Boulevard, police said.
Also during the incident, a 2-year-old was shot but survived. Media reports in 2021 said that the toddler had multiple surgeries as a result of the shooting.
McIntyre had been quickly identified as a person of interest in this homicide investigation, police said. Later, extensive investigation and forensic
analysis of evidence helped police confirm McIntyre to be the suspect. Warrants for his arrest were obtained Feb. 17 after consulting with the District Attorney’s Office.
The Asheboro Police Department credited assistance from the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office and the U.S. Marshal’s Fugitive Task Force in making the arrest.
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram